We asked Inés Reynoso (Mexican American) about living a vegetarian lifestyle. She tells us the difference between being vegan and vegetarian. She shares her opinions as to why we shouldn’t eat meat & she lists ingredients that can substitute meat in our diet.
Play the interview and try to listen for the following expressions:
- Flesh – soft parts of an animal that you eat
- The way I see it – my views are
- Ideally – in a perfect world
- If you wonder – if you ask yourself
- To shut it out – to block it from your mind
- Free- range eggs – eggs that are laid by chickens that are free to move around and not trapped in a cage
- To forgo – to give up the use of something
1. What do vegans avoid eating?
2. Who should we be trusting about what to eat?
3. Can we actually find all the nutrients we need from non-animal products?
View the transcript to check your answers by clicking here A Vegetarian Speaks
Fluency Practice: summarize what you’ve heard for your teacher or classmates. Are you a vegetarian? Tell your story.
Share the Ask Task with your friends.