Here’s one of the best songs from the 1990’s from Achtung Baby. Did you know that ONE was a benefit single with all the earnings going towards AIDS research at the time. Interpretation here is tough. Is he speaking about a lover, AIDS, Berlin…they can all work. What do you think? What does this song mean for you?
Is it getting better? Or do you feel the same? Will it make it easier on you now? You got someone to blame. You say…
One love ,One life ,When it’s one need , In the night
One love ,We get to share it ,Leaves you baby if you ,Don’t care for it
Did I disappoint you? Or leave a bad taste in your mouth?
You act like you never had love And you want me to go without?
Well it’s…Too late ,Tonight ,To drag the past out into the light
We’re one, but we’re not the same .We get to Carry each other
Carry each other …One…
Have you come here for forgiveness? Have you come to raise the dead? Have you come here to play Jesus To the lepers in your head?
Did I ask too much? More than a lot. You gave me nothing .Now it’s all I got
We’re one But we’re not the same
Will we hurt each other.Then we do it again
You say Love is a temple Love a higher law
Love is a temple Love the higher law
You ask me to enter But then you make me crawl
And I can’t be holding on To what you got When all you got is hurt
One love One blood One life
You got to do what you should
One life With each other.. Sisters …Brothers
One life But we’re not the same
We get to Carry each other Carry each other
One… life …One
- to blame: to think a person is responsible for something bad
- a bad taste in your mouth: a feeling of regret or remorse
- to drag: to move something to another place with resistance
- forgiveness: the action of accepting an apology
- to raise the dead : to speak about things that are in the past (i.e. buried)
- the lepers in your head: Leprosy eats away skin so in this case thoughts that are bothering you (i.e. consuming your brain)
- to crawl: to move around on hands and knees
Reason 4 Reading: Here is an article on SLATE that might interest you : U2-The 15 Best Songs
Fluency Builder: Answer these questions in class or with friends
- What do you know about U2?
- Who is your all-time favorite band and why?
- What genres do you listen to ? Is there only one or is your listening choice influenced by your moods?
- Do you sing in the shower or in the car? If so, what song do you sing most often?
- Can you play music at the office on open speakers? Do you use your mp3 player with a headset at work?
Find the time to speak English today!
We’d love to get your feedback on this song? Post a comment…it’ll make us smile!
p.s. I love singing Third Eye Blind’s ‘Motorcycle DriveBy ” in the car. Let me share it with you.