When you keep something under wraps, you conceal it until a future date. Where does this expression come from? If I wrap something, I cover it to protect it. When I keep something under wraps, I hide it for a while. The reasons why could be varied.
Here are a few examples in context:
- The production company kept the movie under wraps until its’ release. They wanted to build hype around it.
- Can you keep his resignation under wraps for this week. It will be official next Monday.
- The president has decided to keep his illness under wraps. He doesn’t want it to affect the election results.
- Have you ever had to keep something under wraps?
- When your company tries to keep things under wraps, do you ever hear it through the grape vine anyway?