Saturday morning and the weekend is officially here. I have decided to share my brother’s pizza recipe so you can have a little fun in the kitchen this weak-end. My favorite topping on pizza is diced tomatoes,Italian sausage , mozzarella, oregano, a sprinkle of parmesan and olive oil. Yum!
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup semolina
1 cup warm water
2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. salt
- In a bowl combine flour, semolina, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
- Stir the yeast mixture into the flour mixture. Form into a ball. Remove from bowl and knead until smooth and elastic, about 7 to 8 minutes, adding more flour if dough is sticky.
- Put the ball of dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Store dough in a warm place until it doubles in volume, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Cut dough in half. Roll each piece out to form a 10-inch round.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Top the pizza dough with tomato sauce, cheeses and/or your choice of toppings.
- Bake pizza until crust is golden brown and crisp, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Here is the Original Post from In the Kitchen with Stefano Faita.
- Yeast: substance used in baking to make dough rise
- Set aside: keep on the side for a while
- Dissolve: to mix with a liquid and become part of that liquid
- A bowl: a container one places food in
- To knead: to press and squeeze dough with your hands
- Dough: mixture of flour, water and other ingredients that is baked & makes bread or cookies
- Sticky: when a substance attaches to your fingers
- Preheat: turn on over to reach desired temperature
- To Top: to place ingredients on top of other ingredients
- Topping: ingredients that are placed on top in a recipe (i.e. tomatoes & cheese on pizza, chocolate sauce on a sundae, mozzarella on a lasagna)
Fluency Builder: Discuss the following questions with your teacher or a friend.
- What’s your favorite pizza topping?
- Have you ever made pizza at home?
- Describe your local pizzeria.
- Do you buy frozen pizza? What’s your favorite brand?