Stefano and I picked up this recipe many moons ago in St-Leonard Montreal of all places.
It was fine-tuned over the years and has since become a signature dessert for him.
I decided to share it with you because I love chilled cup desserts for the summer time.
- 500 ml mascarpone
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 500 ml of espresso
- 1 box of pavesini cookies
- 150 ml of Sambuca
- Mix coffee and Sambuca and cool
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar (pale yellow)
- Add the mascarpone and mix well
- Beat the egg whites until stiff
- Fold egg white into mascarpone mixture
- Dip pavesini in the cooled coffee mixture and cover the bottom of a baking pan 12 “x 10”
- Cover with half of the mascarpone mixture
- Sprinkle with cocoa
- Put another layer of biscuits dipped in coffee and cover with the rest of the creamy mixture
- Sprinkle again with cocoa
- Refrigerate for 12-24 hours
Special Note: It is always fun to create single portions with mason jars or different glasses that you might have in the house. Moreover,the choice of pavesini and not savoiardi cookies lies in the quest for a smoother texture that is not so cake-like.
- a yolk: the yellow-inside of an egg
- pavesini: a lighter version of ladyfingers
- beat: to stir or mix in a forceful way
- fold: to add (a food ingredient) to a mixture by gently and repeatedly lifting one part over another
- dip: to put (something) into a liquid and pull it out again quickly
- sprinkle: to drop or spread small pieces or amounts of something over something
What’s your all-time favorite dessert?
Share and like if this got you hungry!