Anyone who knows me knows that I love Strombo . He is one of Canada’s best talk show hosts. His show produces clips called ‘ Best Story Ever’. They are short videos that either make you laugh or just leave you speechless.
The UK’s longest-running TV soap, Coronation Street focuses on the everyday lives of working class people in Manchester, England. In this Best Story Ever, Marc Baylis who plays the pawn shop owner Rob Donovan explains how in an episode, a football match ending up showing more of one actor than anyone had hoped.
What can we learn from this clip?
- Rob was winding Steve up a lot. (i.e. do or say something jokingly to get someone upset or annoyed)
- The goal-keeper was gong to try and save a penalty.(the player who defends the goal in foot ball/hockey)
- The goalkeeper’s privates had managed to sneak outside of the shorts. (i.e. genitals / to move outside without being noticed by anyone)
- It is my best Coronation Street story so far.(i.e. up to today)
How can we use them in context?
- My co-worker and I wind each other up a lot. we are good buddies!
- The goal-keeper did a bang up job last night. We won 2-0.
- Keep your privates in your pants !
- My teenager snuck out last night to go to a party.
- I have had a relaxing vacation so far.
Practice answering these questions with your trainer, spouse or friends
- Who/What winds you up?
- Can you tell me about your favorite goal-keeper ever?
- Have you ever been caught naked with your privates out?
- Did you sneak out much as a teen?
- How many books have you read so far this year?
It would make us really happy if you could share this post with a friend who needs to gain confidence in English. A little English every day goes a long way!