What this song is about
Wake Me Up is a song about youth trying to live life in a complicated world. It suggests that there are many unknowns and difficulties ahead and that life needs to be taken seriously in order to deal with these problems. The singer, however, wants to enjoy life and be young and free of responsibilities.
He would much rather wake up when it’s all over so he can keep living the dream of being young forever. This is difficult, as older generations can’t relate to that mentality and there is a conflict with what society expects. The video clip reflects this with two youths searching for a place where they can feel accepted, eventually finding it in the form of a concert at the end of the clip.
Why I like this song
The song’s melody and rhythm is happy and upbeat, essentially echoing the carefree and positive nature of its message; that life is to be enjoyed. It’s a message that I really like as I find myself on a very similar path. I also think it’s easy for everyone to relate to this song as most people experienced these feelings when they were young. It’s quite possible that many would still like to be living by these principles if they hadn’t already ‘woken up.’
Useful vocabulary you can learn from this post
youth: young person
unknowns: things we don’t know
ahead: in front of you, forward or in the future
to deal: to manage, to handle, to face or solve
eventually: after some time
upbeat: cheerful, optimistic, positive
echoing: repeating or reminding you of something
carefree: light hearted, without worries or concerns
to relate to: to understand because of having a similar experience
Feeling my way through the darkness
Guided by a beating heart
I can’t tell where the journey will end
But I know where to start
They tell me I’m too young to understand
They say I’m caught up in a dream
Well life will pass me by if I don’t open up my eyes
Well that’s fine by me
So wake me up when it’s all over
When I’m wiser and I’m older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn’t know I was lost
I tried carrying the weight of the world
But I only have two hands
Hope I get the chance to travel the world
But I don’t have any plans
Wish that I could stay forever this young
Not afraid to close my eyes
Life’s a game made for everyone
And love is the prize
Cool expressions we can learn from this song
• Feeling my way through the darkness: touching the objects in the dark like you would do if the lights went out in your house at night. It refers to the unknowns and difficulties in life.
• Life will pass me by: happen without being noticed or fully experienced by someone.
• Carrying the weight of the world: Trying to deal with all the problems in life without help
Can you answer the following questions or discuss them with your friends?
1. Do you think the current generation of youths has more trouble fitting in than previous generations? Why/Why not?
2. Is it fair to live life without responsibilities and without caring about consequences for yourself and those around you?
3. What would you be doing if you were living life as if it were a dream?
4. Did you have these sentiments in your early youth? Why/How did they change?
Tell LEM… xo
Ps. This post was created by Marco, an Aussie from the canals of Venice.